Gifts of Stock or Appreciated Securities
Take advantage of appreciated securities while avoiding capital gains tax by making a donation of your assets.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation.
- Roswell Park sells your securities and uses the proceeds for our programs.
- Use our Stock Transfer Form to facilitate the gift.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.
- More detail on gifts of stock and appreciated assets.
- You can use our Stock Transfer Instructions.
- Frequently asked questions on gifts of stock.
- Contact us so we can assist you through every step.
Explore More Gift Options
Will or Trust →
You can plan a gift that will not affect your cash flow.
Appreciated Securities →
Take advantage of appreciated securities, avoid tax.
Life Insurance →
Make a significant gift, no matter the size of your estate.
Retirement Plan →
Donate double-taxed assets and leave more to family.
Donor-Advised Fund →
Make a gift from your DAF, or name us a beneficiary.
Planning your estate and legacy for future generations, including your charitable interests, takes careful evaluation. Consulting with the appropriate professionals can assist you in making your plans to benefit Roswell Park.